- Lead a team of scientists in developing novel wood protection technology
- Oversee the administrative activities of Koppers Performance Chemicals (KPC) R&D department and lead the technical activities of the R&D Technical Service Group and Pilot Plant/Applied Technology Group
- Ensure the smooth transition of new formulations developed by R&D scientists/chemists from laboratory to pilot plant to full commercial launching in a timely manner.
- Lead in coordinating and preparing data package for ICC Building Code approval and AWPA standardization, re-affirmation and revisions as needed.
- Liaison and work with Customer Service Group to provide technical support for North American customers and perform root-cause analysis and other problem-solving activities to identify effective corrective actions and process improvements.
- Liaison with Manufacturing Group and coordinate with internal R&D scientists to provide trouble-shooting solutions for existing product manufacturing.
- Interact with Commercial and Marketing Departments as part of a cross-functional team of Sr. Research Chemists, Analytical Chemists, Wood Technologists and Chemical Engineers routinely and provide technical support and trouble-shooting for existing products and for process improvement and excellence.
- Ensure KPC Griffin R&D facilities in compliance with all OSHA, state, and federal regulatory and safety requirements, and fully engage in Corporate Zero Harm/Zero Waste program.
- Maintain active membership in appropriate trade organizations (e.g., American Wood-Preservers' Association) in order to monitor industry trends and changes, and be familiar with wood treating standards, and testing requirements for building code approval or AWPA requirements.
- Support VP, R&D in providing leadership, job performance evaluation, and career development to staff.
- Support VP, R&D on new product development opportunities as needed.
- MS/Ph.D. in Wood Science/Forest Products/Environmental Engineering or related area
- 15 years of industrial work experience required, experience in wood protection areas preferred
- 8 years managerial experience in the area of product design, development or technology development and/or transfer
- Significant proven personnel management experience, 7-10 years preferred
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong wood preservation and protection knowledge and strong manufacturing knowledge and experience preferred
- Excellent leadership and management skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to adapt to varying situations to attain goals and meet deadlines.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Perform other duties and tasks as requested by management.
Koppers Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, ethnicity, national origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status, or any other category or characteristic protected by federal law or by any applicable state or local law.