Flatbed Truck Driver (6066)
Founded in 1915, we started with a single recycling location and have grown into a global enterprise, and one of the largest metal recyclers and steel manufacturers in the United States. Our vertical integration model was the first of its kind and revolutionized the way the steel industry operates today.
We are also a Fortune 1000, global company that is committed to delivering industry-leading customer service, providing a safe and healthy environment where our employees can succeed, creating value for our investors and improving our communities.
We are sensitive to the impact our industry has on the environment, which is why we are committed to a process that minimizes our carbon footprint and preserves our natural resources for future generations. Our recycling facilities collect metals from the community and convert them into steel that supports our infrastructure.
$2,000 sign-on bonus to all drivers - 50% will be paid after 6 months of employment, 50% after one year of employment.
We are currently seeking a DOT Driver to support the logistics department located at our Steel Mill in Seguin, Texas. The DOT Driver will support Seguin Mill and Area Fabrication shops by picking up and delivering rebar fabricated material and scrap. Successful candidates will have a strong safety mindset and a desire to learn.
The DOT Driver must be able to work a flexible schedule Monday through Friday; which may include some overtime, weekends and holidays.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Drops and hooks trailers.
- Uses a flatbed with sideboard kits to haul scrap material and equipment.
- Uses chains weighing 30 - 45 lbs. to secure loads.
- Works with waterproof and grass tarps weighting 30-65 lbs.
- Climbs catwalk and deck of trailer.
- Utilizes steps to get in and out of truck cab.
- Performs daily Pre-Trip and Post Trip Inspections.
- Fills out dispatch paperwork as needed.
- Shows a safety first mindset; recommends improvements to make the workplace safer for self and others.
- Willing to learn; enjoys tackling new challenges.
- Is organized and shows attention to detail, with a "get it right the first time" mindset.
- Demonstrates dependability in attendance, work completion, and flexibility to meet business needs.
- Works well with team members or independently; gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner.
- Makes timely and sound decisions; uses resources wisely.
- Displays a positive, can-do attitude; maintains composure when faced with difficult situations.
- Performs additional duties as needed.
Experience and Skill Requirements
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver License required.
- Minimum 1 year verifiable tractor/trailer experience (flatbed hauling over-the-road experience preferred).
- No more than 1 moving violation in the previous 3 years; violation cannot be any of the following:
- Speeding excessively, 15 mph or more above the posted speed limit.
- Felony involving the use of a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
- Careless, negligent or reckless operation of a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
- DUI or DWI (within the last 5 years).
- No on-road preventable accidents during the past (3) years as shown on the Motor Vehicle Road (MVR); accidents are reviewed by CMC Logistics Management.
- Driver must be knowledgeable in D.O.T. Regulations/Requirements.
- Must live within 45 Miles of the Mill.
- Pass required D.O.T. and CMC Logistics drug testing programs and physicals as required by D.O.T.
- Must be able to work flexible hours Monday thru Friday; which may include some overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Must speak and understand English language in verbal communication.
- Frequent physical activity such as walking, climbing stairs/ladders, works with chains, drops and hooks trailers, performs inspections and reaches to work with equipment throughout the entire shift.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 65 lbs.
- Ability to use effective listening skills to identify important information and to engage internal and external customers.
- Ability to work with exposure to extremes in weather temperatures and loud noises.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred but not required.