Founded in 1915, we started with a single recycling location and have grown into a global enterprise, and one of the largest metal recyclers and steel manufacturers in the United States. Our vertical integration model was the first of its kind and revolutionized the way the steel industry operates today.
We are also a Fortune 1000, global company that is committed to delivering industry-leading customer service, providing a safe and healthy environment where our employees can succeed, creating value for our investors and improving our communities.
We are sensitive to the impact our industry has on the environment, which is why we are committed to a process that minimizes our carbon footprint and preserves our natural resources for future generations. Our recycling facilities collect metals from the community and convert them into steel that supports our infrastructure.
Commercial Metals Company is currently seeking an Assistant Safety Manager to assist and support the site safety manager, department safety coordinators, and facility management in discharging the facility safety program. The facility has a world class safety program with an IR consistently below 2.0. Under limited to no supervision, the individual in this position monitors assigned location safety performance including injuries, injury prevention, hazard identification, hazard control and correction, compliance with CMC Americas Safety policies and procedures, and OSHA regulations. This individual works with and assists location management to ensure proper safety orientation, annual training requirements, and compliance with all required documentation in accordance to CMC Americas Safety policies and procedures and OSHA regulations.
* Provide Safety support and overall Safety responsibility for multiple locations, to include the Mill in Cayce, SC and three downstream locations in the Columbia area (Rebar, Recycling and Southern Post).
* Assist and support development, implementation, follow up, and analysis of corporate safety policies, procedures, requirements, and initiatives.
* Assess and prioritize the safety needs of the facility and determine the level of personal involvement needed to complete required safety functions; scheduling time accordingly.
* Conduct monthly department safety inspections in conjunction with facility management and document the results of the inspection in the facility safety management system (Intelex).
* Assists facility management in developing corrective actions for identified hazards, implementation of corrective actions, tracking to completion in the facility safety management system (Intelex), and providing follow up as needed until conclusion.
* Coordinate, facilitate, support/conduct employee safety training including but not limited to, new employee orientation, annual required re-training, equipment certification (forklifts, overhead cranes, aerial lifts, yard trucks, etc.); site specific equipment training, and contractor orientation in accordance with corporate safety policy/OSHA regulations.
* Update the facility safety training matrix to ensure all employees have completed required annual safety training and that it has been properly documented.
* Identify upcoming training needs and deficiencies and assist the department coordinators and facility management in making up all required training.
* Assist, support and advise management and employees with corporate safety policy compliance & OSHA compliance.
* Assist, support and advise management with incident reporting and investigation; which includes but is not limited to near misses, property damage, first aid, and OSHA recordable events.
* Assist, support and advise management in developing corrective actions for incidents that will prevent reoccurrence, advise on disciplinary actions, and follow up to ensure corrective actions have been implemented and are working.
* Weekly, monthly and annual reporting - compile and report safety statistics to include; IR Rates, Proactive Safety Metrics, behavioral safety observations, LOTO inspections, accident analysis, safety accomplishments, and outstanding safety issues.
* Conduct, assist and follow up on monthly safety council meetings.
* Assist, support, and ensure pre-operation mobile equipment inspections (aerial lifts, overhead cranes, forklifts, yard trucks, etc.) are being completed and identified deficiencies are corrected and documented.
* Assist and support facility management in developing initiatives that will help motivate employees and cultivate the facility safety culture.
* Monitor and assist the facility with analysis of safety initiatives and how it affects the overall facility safety performance, providing feedback to facility management.
* Conduct industrial hygiene monitoring (air & noise) as needed, interpret results, and assist in implementation of appropriate corrective actions.
* Conduct PPE fit testing for safety glasses and hearing protection and monitor the program to ensure continued employee compliance.
* Assist and support in discharging the facility drug free workplace program, including specimen collection and administering BAT.
* Act as a first responder to provide immediate first aid for workplace incidents. EMT or appropriate medical background is preferred.
* Assist, support, and discharge the worker's compensation program. This includes filing claims; acting as a liaison between the injured worker, the treating physician, and WC carrier; monitoring and coordinating the facility return work program
* 3 to 5 years of safety experience in a heavy industrial environment
* Working knowledge of the OSHA General Industry Regulations
* Excellent time management skills
* Ability to multitask and move at a fast pace
* Organized, detail & action oriented
* Strong skills in the application of accident prevention techniques, leading safety committees, worker's compensation claim administration, safety instruction/training, leading behavioral safety programs, conducting industrial hygiene monitoring
* Effective communication skills both written and verbally - especially when developing programs, PowerPoint, safety training and the ability for the safety message to be conveyed to the employees
* Highly Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), knowledge of the Intelex safety management system is a plus.
* Ability to build relationships Interpersonal/human relations skills; must be a people person with a positive attitude, be proactive, and be a team player with a high degree of integrity and sense of urgency
* Ability to lead by example
* BS preferred in Manufacturing/ Industrial Safety or equivalent combination or experience and education required.