Rolling Mill Trainee (2359)
Founded in 1915, we started with a single recycling location and have grown into a global enterprise, and one of the largest metal recyclers and steel manufacturers in the United States. Our vertical integration model was the first of its kind and revolutionized the way the steel industry operates today.
We are also a Fortune 1000, global company that is committed to delivering industry-leading customer service, providing a safe and healthy environment where our employees can succeed, creating value for our investors and improving our communities.
We are sensitive to the impact our industry has on the environment, which is why we are committed to a process that minimizes our carbon footprint and preserves our natural resources for future generations. Our recycling facilities collect metals from the community and convert them into steel that supports our infrastructure.
Commercial Metals Company is currently seeking a Rolling Mill Trainee to join the CMC Steel Texas Rolling Mill Department team to provide critical support to day to day plant operations. Steel Texas is one of CMC's eleven steel mills that have a combined annual capacity of almost eight million tons. By producing steel from recycled metal in electric arc furnaces, we consume far fewer natural resources than blast furnace steelmakers. Using recycled metal allows us to lower CO2 emissions by 58%. If you are looking for an opportunity to expand your skills, this is the place for you! CMC Steel Texas is located in Seguin, Texas, just 24 minutes east of downtown San Antonio.
CMC offers training and development opportunities for employees to acquire and enhance new skills and knowledge. Advancement and relocation opportunities are also available for those who have the desire for professional growth. CMC's competitive compensation and generous benefits package includes: medical, dental, vision, company paid life and disability, company matching 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan, and paid time off
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in the CMC Safety Programs and proactively uphold the CMC Safety Culture.
- Communicate and coordinate with crew members to sustain a quality finished product that meets or exceeds customer expectations and is sustained within specifications.
- Complete all Finishing Area production processes and tasks while remaining in compliance with the Quality Management System (QMS) and all ISO procedures and instructions.
- Plan, coordinate, and communicate with peers and supervisors daily to ensure safe operations, preservation of company assets, environmental compliance, cost and energy consciousness.
- Become proficient with measuring equipment and techniques.
- Become proficient in using all other equipment and tools (crane rigging and operations; torch, grinder, stud welder, tag printer; other hand tools).
- Develop a general understanding and knowledge with all Finishing Area mill systems (roll lines, stops, chain and trolley systems, make up/storage/collection areas, tiers, stacker, strappers, etc.) so as to recognize upset conditions and assist to implement corrective actions, changes or adjustments to maintain effective Finish Area operations.
- Properly perform cleaning and preventive maintenance activities.
Experience and Skill Requirements
- No less than 1 year of field experience in either an operations and or manufacturing environment strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of steel manufacturing processes and equipment preferred.
- Good math, verbal, mechanical, analytical and planning skills.
- Basic computer skills required. SAP experience a plus.
- Must read, speak and understand English language in verbal and written communication.
- Forklift, Crane, or experience operating heavy machinery a plus.
- Willing to learn; enjoys tackling new challenges.
- Is organized and shows attention to detail, with a "get it right the first time" mindset.
- Demonstrates dependability in attendance, work completion, and flexibility to meet business needs.
- Works well with team members or independently; gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner.
- Makes timely and sound decisions; uses resources wisely.
- Displays a positive, can-do attitude; maintains composure when faced with difficult situations.
- Ability to stand for duration of shift, up to 12 hours; frequent walking or climbing stairs.
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 25 lbs., and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Push and pull up to 90 lbs. and carry 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with exposure to inside and outside temperatures, loud noise, heights, and confined spaces.
- Must be able to work a 12 hour shift, which include overtime, weekends and some holidays.
- High School Diploma or GED required